Skip to main content

Cancer Deaths and Survival Rates

This is a blog written at the Airport. I had an hour to wait for my flight and could think of no better way to spend the time.

I love creating different charts in Excel. It keeps me company in my weekend afternoons and there is the immense benefit of learning something more about Excel.

I looked at this chart in Paresh's blog briefly the week he posted it and thought of recreating it in Excel. Then a family tragedy and more urgent and important matters pushed this back in my to-do list. Now that all is cleared, I finished making the chart in the airport lobby!

The recreated chart:



And my visualization of the data with some noted differences:


I've chosen to substitute survival rates with mortality rates, and for a valid reason. Since the chart also displays the number of deaths caused by the individual forms of Cancer, I surmised the display of mortality rates would be more appropriate with that figure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Florence Nightingale Circumplex Chart

I was taken to the  Florence Nightingale's Wiki page   during a recent research, and one of the interesting things I noted was her contribution to statistics. It came to me as a pleasant surprise that she is credited with inventing the polar area diagram , or occasionally the Nightingale rose diagram, which is equivalent to a modern circular histogram. Following the completion of my project and in my weekend to spare, I devoted time to recreating the chart in Excel. It took a combination of Doughnut-Pie-and XY charts and close to four hours to finish it. The colours are a bit darker, the values are approximate and the labels differently oriented, yet the chart looks fairly close to the original as is shown by the picture below.

The Dorling Cartogram

My last project involved using a multitude of regions for drawing analysis, parallels and comparison. Not wanting to use yet another Choropleth graph, I decided to look up alternatives that were easier to create and preferably required no VBA. Soon I stumbled upon "The Dorling Cartogram", defined in the UCSB site as, "This type of cartogram was named after its inventor, Danny Dorling of the University of Leeds. A Dorling cartogram maintains neither shape, topology nor object centroids, though it has proven to be a very effective cartogram method. To create a Dorling cartogram, instead of enlarging or shrinking the objects themselves, the cartographer will replace the objects with a uniform shape, usually a circle, of the appropriate size." I had the data for Obesity in the United States handy, so I decided to give it a try before using it in my project. I opted to use Bubble charts because data points within a series may need to be of varied shapes based on

The Pie-Doughnut Combination: A Fan Plot

Happy to be back after a pretty busy beginning to the new year. I had this completed almost immediately following the preceding post but was otherwise hard-pressed to find a suitable time to post it. Soon after writing the Florence Nightingale Circumplex Chart post, I started searching for more varieties of charts that can be created using combinations of Pie-Doughnut charts. Soon enough, I found one through Naomi B. Robbins' comment in a Jorge Camoes' post . The referenced PDF article attempts to use Fan Plot to display relative quantities and differences using the R statistical language as is shown in the image below. Impassive of its benefits and/or disadvantages, I created it in Excel.